About Game Graphic Design Major
Game Graphic Design major sets a goal to foster top-quality professionals, in gaming within multimedia contents design and entertainment design, by providing an interdisciplinary education program encompassing character design, animation, graphic design, user-interface design and interaction design.
Dr. Paul Chul-ho Paik, Na-young Kim, Gapyeol Seo, Duck-gi Ahn.
- Games Seminar (1): This course explores the elements of game design and aesthetic perspective in video game through the viewing and playing of video games. Students explore design principles that define a successful game design.
- Game Seminar (2): This course explores the history of video games and storytelling through various games. Student will develop their own game story and have discussion in class.
- Introduction to Game Studies: The purpose of this class is for students to learn basic knowledge for being creative game designer/developer and methods of analysis/ collecting related information.
- Drawing (1): This course is a study of a form of visual expression within the visual arts. This course provides an introduction to the skills of drawing using a wide range of media and methods. Student will explore the ways of structuring the picture plane, establishing proportion, creating a space with shading and perspective. This course introduces students to an in-depth study of the human form in its various shapes and body postures.
- Drawing (2): This course is a study of a form of visual expression within the visual arts. This course provides an introduction to the skills of drawing using a wide range of media and methods. Student will explore the ways of structuring the picture plane, establishing proportion, creating a space with shading and perspective. This course introduces students to an in-depth study of the human form in its various shapes and body postures.
- Introduction to Design: The purpose of this class is for students to understand designical approach in game. Class will require students to research the concept of aesthetics and primary principle of cognitive psychology.
- Digital Graphic Animation (1): Students understand about graphic animation through motion graphic artwork and animation production practice. Students will find design of image’s mind and apply it to game design.
- Art History: This course will study the history of Western and non-Western art from prehistoric art to Modern art. Students explore various forms of visual expression through painting, drawing, sculpture and architecture. This course also explores the relationship between artistic expression and societal and cultural contexts.
- Color Theory (1): This course introduces students to the basic elements of two-dimensional design. Students explore two-dimensional form, color structure, and composition through theories and principles. Students gain the creative processes of art and design through various projects and class discussion.
- Color and Design (2): This is a continuation of Color theory (1). Students will deliver the creative expressions within color theories and principles into the two-dimensional form through the study of Color theory (1).
- 3D Formative Design (1): This course introduces students to the materials, techniques and ideas in three-dimensional space. Students explore diverse media and their artistic creativity to create volume, line and mass in three-dimensional space through various projects and research.
- 3D Formative Design (2): This is a continuation of 3D Formative Design (1). Students will learn the creative expressions through the understanding of three-dimensional space from 3D Formative Design (1) within a various artistic expression, and cultivate the ability to explore in-depth analysis of three-dimensional form.
- Game Story Design: The purpose of this class is to understand story telling in game through various case analysis based on theoretical understanding of storytelling.
- Game Design: This course introduces student to the basic theory of game development by cooperating between the students of “Game Graphic Design“ and “Game Software“. Students explore practical process of game development by communicating each others and understand basic principle of various work-flow of game industry.
- Seminar in School of Games: The professors at school of games consist of computer software major scholars and graphic design major scholars. This course is intended to explain how the individual professor’s expertises are related to making computer games, and to introduce the professors to the other majoring students in the school of games.
- Drawing (3): This is a continuation of Drawing(2). Students will analyze tempo, weight, and behavioral responses of human or animal actions in sequential images. This course will focus on understanding the form of character representation in the actual timing of the movement by learning the sequential study.
- Design Planning: This course explores the general principles of game design through the study of various games. This course is designed for individuals who are interested in further developing an expertise in Game design and Game development. Level design and story telling are emphasized. Students explore effective techniques and formulate successful strategies for developing immersive level design and storytelling. The history of storytelling and how it relates to video game design is taught through readings, lectures, demonstrations and videos.
- Digital Graphic Design: Students will make digital design contents by using Flash. Students will learn expression techniques from Flash basic based on time frame to action script.
- Digital Character Animation: This class is for studying basic animation in game. The purpose of this class is for students to realize creative motions by understanding basic motion study.
- Digital Graphics Animation (2): The purpose of this class is for students to learn image and music, voice and typo focused on motion graphic.
- Illustration: By seeking creative concept, application of experimental expression technique and creative beauty of a sculpture, students will experience various illustration techniques and improve perspective as director.
- Character Design: The purpose of this class is for students to understand aim of character design and improve drawing ability. Students will make and present their work product.
- 3D Graphic Design (1): The purpose of this class is for students to learn character setting progress for character motion in game animation. And for realizing various face expression acting, class will require students to study blend shape and expression setting.
- 3D Graphic Design (2): This is a continuation of 3D Graphic Design(1). For directing realistic mood of game animation, students will learn texture and lighting. Through this, students will express creative and realistic sense on texture of objects, reaction to light, shade, color of light.
- Game Graphic Studio: This course is designed for students to get used to game graphic studio through 3D production training which is based on graphics project production. As a practice-oriented portfolio preparing stage students learn concept retouch training and 3D production basic instruction through training.
- Game Interaction Design (1): This course mainly deal with physical interface in games. By getting freed from monitor and keyboard, students look into various sensor and by realizing it in person, they incubate possibilities & abilities about designing more ample interaction and materialize it.
- Game Interaction Design (2): This course is extension of Game Interface Design(1) subject. Through understandings in menu and indicator arrangement, students are required to develop and express the game-UI-making section which is used in real life business.
- Game Interface Design (1): This course introduces student to the basic GUI composition by studying the organization of game menu, indicator, and principle placement of UI.
- Game Interface Design (2): This is a continuation of Game Interface Design (1). Students will develop their graphical display layout principle of menu or indicator. This course will focus on practical game UI development based on ideal placement principle.
- Graduate Project: This course explores the steps of game design process for senior project. Student will develop their story, style guide, concept art and game design document. This course will focus on the principles of game design.
- Concept Drawing: This course is designed for students to raise configuration, the ability to transmit through the visual analysis understanding the world that emerged from animation and games.
- Team Project: This course enhances collaboration skills and communication skills with teamwork in a simulated production environment. Students work as a team to develop their own iPhone and iPad games driven by industry standard tools.
- 3D Game Design (1): This course introduces student to the learn the proper color sense from real landscape to produce the 3D graphic design. Students explore various techniques of 3D mapping methods from geology, topography, structures to apply the practical works.
- 3D Game Design (2): This is a continuation of 3D Game Design(1). This course introduces students to the production of higher quality game environment composition by understanding practical techniques.
- 3D Character Design (1): This course explores the steps of game design process of game character modeling, rendering, texturing, and lighting by understanding the character concept and design. Students will learn the basic principle of game character development by studying different game platforms.
- 3D Character Design (2): This is a continuation of 3D Character Design (1). This course introduces students to produce the high end quality of 3D game character creation process by presenting the practical techniques of character modeling, rendering, texturing, and lighting.
- Independent Project (1): This course practice whole process between game planning to game producing in order to make graduation project. Divided classes in this course will be evaluated in game making step starting from production presentation to exhibition of pictures.
- Independent Project (2): This course is designed to practice the entire process from planning to production to make the graduate curriculum work.
- Drawing Studio: This course is designed to complete concept drawing through game design concept by making students own worlds to a concept of a complete world.
- Motion Graphic Design: This course’ goal is to study college seniors’ film’s opening sequence and motion graphic representation techniques.
- Visual Effects Design: This course is designed to learn know-how to express technical skills of visual effect concept.
- Sound Project: This course explores the production audio techniques associated with senior game project. Students learn advanced sound editing, mixing approaches for both music and game projects. Students develop a fundamental understanding of the workflow and practices associated with soundtrack development specific to game project.
- Concept Drawing Project: This course is designed to understand the process of game art concept. Students will practice focusing on background paintings that can express worlds abundantly.
- 3D Graphic Projects (1): This course is designed to understand the whole process of game graphic character production; learning the character knowledge, creativity and application methods necessary when making it.
- 3D Graphic Projects (2): This course is designed to do works to prepare and improve the perfection of the portfolio to make practice games through individual projects, and learn the practice production techniques of 3D graphics.